“𝑰𝒕 𝒊𝒔 𝒕𝒊𝒎𝒆 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒂 𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒂𝒅𝒊𝒈𝒎 𝒔𝒉𝒊𝒇𝒕 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒘𝒂𝒚 𝒘𝒆 𝒍𝒐𝒐𝒌 𝒂𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒐𝒓𝒈𝒂𝒏𝒊𝒛𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏 𝒔𝒕𝒓𝒖𝒄𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒆𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒘𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒃𝒆 𝒓𝒆𝒒𝒖𝒊𝒓𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒔𝒖𝒄𝒄𝒆𝒔𝒔𝒇𝒖𝒍𝒍𝒚 𝒍𝒆𝒂𝒅 𝒂 𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒑𝒂𝒏𝒚 𝒕𝒐 𝒂 𝒅𝒊𝒈𝒊𝒕𝒂𝒍 𝒇𝒖𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒆.”
I just published an article on LinkedIn on the Appropriate Design for a Digital Future. You can read it here. For those of you who want a Schaum’s outline version, here we go.
Today’s functional organization structure is no longer appropriate for serving the digital future. Business processes are horizontal, not vertical. So, as part of Group50’s approach to Strategy 5.0™, we are proposing that companies be organized in the following 3 process groups,
and they should have three primary leaders:
- Chief Revenue Officer
- Chief Value Add Officer
- Chief Technology Officer
I think we can agree that each process group will require every functional expertise including HR and finance because of their uniqueness. The article makes the following points:
- Organizations should be built to master the company’s technology and be structured that way.
- 76% of the companies don’t have a digital transformation plan and the ones that do have mostly failed at implementation.
- Change management has been the primary cause which is why we created the Business Hierarchy of Needs®.
- We have created a Strategic Planning process designed to prepare companies for their appropriate digital future.
About the Author: Jim Gitney, CEO and Founder, started Group50® Consulting in 2004 with the focus of working with companies to significantly improve their performance by leveraging people, process and technology.
Jim has held C-suite and Board positions in large and small companies (GE, Black & Decker, Sunbeam, Rain Bird, Pankl Aerospace and others) both privately and publicly held. His subject matter expertise includes Industry 5.0, strategic planning, strategic execution, operations, supply chain and restructuring. He has taken best practices from around the world, worked closely with clients and other Group50® consultants to create Group50’s Strategy 5.0™ strategic planning framework, the Business Hierarchy of Needs ®, a change management framework and many more strategic planning and execution tools. Group50® Consulting consists of consultants from every functional discipline who have spent their careers in corporate America developing strategic plans and rolling up their shirt sleeves to get it done.
- Video Explanation of the Business Hierarchy of Needs®
- Strategy 5.0™ – Defining the Appropriate Organization Design for a Digital Future
- Strategy 5.0™ – Where to Play, How To Win, Most Important Goal
- Cost Takeout as a Strategy
- What is the Business Hierarchy of Needs®?
- Five Things You Need To Do To Drive Continuous Improvement – Introduction
- Five Things You Need To Do To Drive Continuous improvement – Part IV – Best Practices
- What is a “ Brown Paper Exercise “ and What is its’ Value?
- Industry 5.0, People – Process – Technology – Cobotics
- Industry 5.0 – IoT and Blockchain – An Application Case Study – Flight Safety Parts