Everyone has been through “Cost Savings Programs” and “Cost Reduction Programs”, but what is the Organizational impact of a true Cost Takeout process?
Key descriptors for cost reduction programs include total re-structuring, business transformation, a totally different way of doing business, remove 40% of the costs and still produce at the same quality and quantity, and “This changes everything.” Successful companies make this change BEFORE it is required. They see the change as a business imperative – they will cease to exist if they don’t make this level of change. Understanding Cost Takeout and its implementation requires careful planning.
Now that we have your attention, what does a change agent do to ensure success during the tumultuous level of upheaval a cost takeout initiative creates? Create the Plan, Execute the Plan and Communicate, Communicate, Communicate. Nothing new there, but very few organizations see the need for the change in time and therefore are always trying to catch up. The following roadmap toplines the steps an organization MUST follow to safely exit the change.
Strategic Planning Session:
- Ensure you follow the entire process: Business Needs, Data Assessment, Create Strategies, Gap Analysis, Culture Check, Strategic Execution. Group50’s Strategic Planning process is a simple yet thorough way to work through Strategic Planning
- With a full assessment (SWOT, PEST, SOAR, etc.) you will have a much better understanding of your path forward
- At the completion of the Strategic Planning process, you will have many of the key steps in the process completed or at least outlined:
- New Direction, Focus and Leadership
- New Objectives and deliverables
- New Financial models and measures
- As you plan for the changes required by a cost takeout initiative, you will note that new roles and responsibilities are required at every level and in every function and will require organizational design and development. Business Process Re-engineering from “Order to Cash” will define the future state and the organizational development needs.
- If you are really going to change the way your business operates, one of the best ways to kick start this change is to assign new reporting lines. “A new broom sweeps clean” doesn’t always mean terminations, but should include re-assignments.
Change Management Tools:
- There are multiple Change Management models; Bridges, Kotter, Lewin, etc. Some work better for different organizations, so find a process that works for you and be proactive.
- During change, an organization can never communicate enough. Develop a Communications Strategy and stick to it
- At the end of this change, your organization will have a different culture. It is in your organization’s best interest to plan for this change. The combination of “Strategy and Culture Delivers Exceptional Results.”
- Now that you have a clear Strategy, a redesigned structure and have worked through the Change Management requirements, you need to deliver the tools to enable the organization to be successful. Group50 has a series of workshops that are designed to transfer knowledge and skills to your employees.
- Of course, new training and development will become self-evident for the “New way of doing business”
- You will need to empower the Leadership and managers of others as well as provide the detailed new task training,
- This is an ideal time to introduce new Lean Business Tools, and
- What about your Digital/IT/Infrastructure changes?
Each of these taken singularly and in a calm state are tremendous undertakings, but doing all of them in the chaotic state of a Cost Takeout becomes a herculean effort. You are in effect “Transforming your company” which is much more difficult than starting up a new company. We will cover each of the above topics in future blogs so please subscribe to future blogs below.
About the author: Bruce Dougan is the head of Group50’s Organization Design and Development Practice. Bruce and the Group50 team are all former executives with well-known manufacturing and distribution companies who understand what it takes to design, train, develop and motivate organizations to successfully implement a company’s strategic plan. Group50 has designed a series of strategic assessments, workshops and strategic execution tools that optimize your organization. You can reach us at (909) 949-9083 or send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Post Merger Integration ( PMI ) Playbook
- Supply Chain Playbook
- Change Management in the Current Environment
- Supply Chain Risk – Supply Chain Resiliency – Knowing Where You Are Vulnerable and Doing Something About it
- Re-Opening Your Business – Best Practices Series
- World Class Manufacturing and Distribution – Wrap Technologies – Group50
- What is Fractional Marketing – A Way to Accelerate Your Market Effectiveness
- 90 Day Tactical Plan – The Future of Your Business
- Market Effectiveness in the New Normal
- Managing Your Way Through 2020